Bradford University development breaks world record for environmental design
Bradford University’s £40 million campus development has broken the world record for environmental design by achieving 95.05% on the BREEAM scale. The Green has earned the highest grade ever issued to any building. The eco-village is only one of 15 buildings worldwide to merit the ‘oustanding’ rating.
Chris Guyatt, an architect who worked on The Green, said, “It was fantastic to hear that we had been awarded an ‘outstanding’ classification and we’re all very proud. The project is up there with the most sustainable in the world and that’s great. From the outset we aimed to design a highly sustainable building and, in order to quantify this, we measured it against the BREEAM scale.”
Many of the measures put in place in The Green to merit this accolade include:
- being built using prefabricated panelised timber-frame system, which allows highly insulated wall and floor panels to be manufactured off-site and reduces waste in the process.
- rooms only needing 100W to be heated due to the efficiency of the insulation.
- bathrooms being pre-assambled and delivered to site. Toilets already installed and fully tiled.
- water-saving measures such as installation of aerated taps and showers that mean less water is used.
- water being heated by solar panels and water harvesting.
- low energy lighting installed across the project.
The Director of BREEAM, Martin Townsend, said,
“The success of The Green is not only a clear demonstration of what can be achieved using current best practice in construction, but also how the use of innovative technology can be applied to drive energy efficiency and provie real time data to students so that they can understand the impact of the decisions they make and how energy from renewables is being used.”
Visit Our Showroom
The AC Gold renewable energy showroom in Stirling offers an opportunity to see a range of renewable energy systems on display including solar PV, off-grid power solutions and a range of domestic biomass log and pellet boilers.
11 Back O'Hill Industrial Estate, Stirling, FK8 1SH
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm